Sunday, March 13, 2011

"From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step." Denis Diderot

I am currently reading the classic "1984". It still strikes me as odd to read a book written in the past about a possible future in a time that has already been. I suspect I will have a similar feeling when I watch 2012 after the year 2012 when I am not huddling in a giant boat with John Cusack. Although that scenario is not actually that unappealing to me.

Anyway I'm finding myself rather drawn to the protagonist of the story. "1984" not "2012". In particular the first half of the book where he feels withdrawn and unknown. He seems unable to feel for the things and people around him. He just accepts what is.

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."
- George Orwell,
1984, Book 1, Chapter 1

The idea that all we are in the end is what we leave behind and the people we come into contact with scared me. What have I done worth remembering?

Answer: Nothing.

So this is it. This is what I know and who I am. And it doesn't really matter if anyone reads it.

No comments:

Post a Comment